Wednesday, August 27, 2008

India 101 Questions

It's so close, I can't believe how close it is. Next week, I'm going to India. I've been preparing for this for months and months and its almost here. Here are a few of the questions that I've been asked

Do you think that your ready?: I am. I've come to the realization that there's only so much you can do to prepare and then you just have to just do it. In my mind there's nothing that I can't do.

How long are you going to be there?: 2 weeks. I'm leaving on September 6th and getting back on the 20th.

Who are you going with?: I am going by myself. My trip is, however, being set up through an organization called Cosmic Volunteers.

Do you know anyone in India?: Nope, I know no one. I do know that I will be staying with Mr & Mrs Rajiv Sabharwal and no, I don't know them either.

How are you paying for your trip? Well, friends and family generously donated around $900. God donated the additional $1,200+ for the plane ticket via the eBay sales of Ben Hur props.

What shots did you get?: Um, none. I didn't get any shots. That's all the more motivation for you to pray for me. My plan is to not drink the water and put my trust in God.

What will you be doing in India?: I'm not 100% sure. What I do know is that I will be doing some sort of work with homeless children for 30-40 hours a week.

How much money are you bringing?: I was thinking about bringing $200. All of my meals are provided while I'm there. The only problem is $200 is almost equal to 8,000 ₨. That's quite a wad. You can buy an entire meal there for under 40₨.

How long is the flight?: Its a 2 hour flight followed by a 14 hour flight. I hope those seats are comfortable.

What is the time difference?: 9 1/2 hours, ek. I hope to adjust quickly.

Whats the weather like there?: Hot, it is supposed to be 92° every day. Some rain too but that doesn't seem to make it any less hot.

So anyhow. Pray for me while I'm there for my safety and that God will be at work through me and lives will be changed including my own.

3 comments:

Reverb said...

I am very proud of you for doing this. I'm also devoting right now to pray for you each day until your safe return.

The nice thing is...you can't threaten someone with heaven. So if you die...oh well. I'll see you in a little while.

snobound said...

My husband went to India a couple of years back and he said that it was the dirtiest country he'd ever been in, and they eat a lot of water buffalo products. He said the entire country smells like urine. He picked up e-coli AND ghiarrdia while he was there and he didn't even drink the water. He was sick for months afterward. Make sure to take LOADS of antibacterial hand sanitizer and use it frequently. Try not to wipe your eyes, nose or mouth without having used the sanitizer first. Best of luck to you. I'm sure God will bless you and the children you come into contact with.

melanie said...

Some of our closest friends were missionaries in India for almost two years. They were starting a Vineyard over there. It can't be too bad as they went back last year for three months. I can't wait to hear all of your stories. Somehow, I think you'll have lots of stories, don't now why, but I think you will:)

We will pray for you, your safety, your health, and all you touch and do to be for God's glory.