Monday, October 27, 2008

Strangers with Candy

I like talking to strangers. I guess I just find people fascinating. All around you, everyday, strangers. Strangers with stories, opportunities, advice and candy. I'm that guy who knows all of the postal workers, free sample ladies and on on occasion picks up a hitchhiker or two. That aside, there is no better place to meet strangers than on craigslist. No, not the personal ads. I'm talking about selling stuff. I met a few strangers over the weekend.

The first guy I met came to get some free radio parts from me. Peoples ears perk up at the sound of the word free. He was a bigger fellow, middle aged, a bit country and very talkative. I must have talked to him on the phone for 10 or 15 minutes before he arrived. As it turns out, he used to sell ammunition on eBay until they shut him down. He also informed me that if he owned my house he would put some grow lights in the attic to, uh, improve his parties. It's the hair isn't it? People are continually offering me, uh, herbs.

Guy number two didn't talk too much but he sure did love the box of broken old phones that I sold him. his brother and him used to find entire basements full of old phones back in the day.

Person number three was the most interesting. Her name was Ursala and she was an artist. I can't quite remember what in the world we talked about but I do know that she enjoyed the art that I have in my living room. Strangers always like the view too.

Have you met any interesting strangers recently? You should.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I met a stranger last week. She is a cashier at this little convenience store I go to. A guy came in from outside and screamed at her because the gas pump wasn't working as good as he would have like it to. When he left I brought my Circus Peanuts up to the counter and said "well, he's pleasent". We both had a good laugh and she seemed a little more okay with just happened.