Wednesday, March 23, 2011

2 Peter 3:8



2 Peter 3:8—‘one day is like a thousand years’



I think that I finally have a good understanding of what that verse really means. I've heard it my entire life but today I lived it. Yesterday I set a personal goal. Starting today and continuing for the next 6 I will be spending 1 hour a day cleaning my house. And if I'm doing the math correctly, that one hour a day will feel like 14833 human days (41.6 years). I hate cleaning. I love the result but I highly dislike the process. Doing dishes feels like Chinese water torture. There are very few things that I wouldn't rather be doing.

After spending an entire hour cleaning today the result is nearly unnoticeable. Imagine if you will that a train with a 100 cars derails and 99 of them are destroyed. To the casual onlooker this wreck would look like a 100% loss. If, however, you're BMW was being transported in that last, undestroyed, train car you would see things quite differently. That's how I feel about my house. Granted, it still looks horrible but I have a vested interest so I can still see a difference. One hour down 88989 days to go.

1 comment:

Reverb said...

Good goal...one hour per day will do it too. I wonder how long it will take before the house is organized and everything. You live by yourself...just keep reminding yourself that whatever mess you are making you're going to end up cleaning it soon.

At my house, 75% of the messes made are not mine and I have no idea where they came from. Unfortunately, I don't do just 25% of the cleaning.