Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hanged, drawn and quartered but hey, could be worse

Hanged, drawn and quartered, have you ever heard of such a thing? Apparently this is how every story in the book that I'm reading ends. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this practice, here's an overview.

1) Hanged - Hanged by the neck for a short time or until almost dead but not quite.
2) Drawn - They were strapped down, their genitalia was chopped off, their stomach cut open and their guts removed. Then, it was all burned while the victim watched. If they passed out, they were splashed with water.
3)Quartered- Last but not least, they were strapped to the quartering table, their head was chopped of and their body was cut into four pieces.

I don't know about you but knowing that this is how my day was going to end may put me in a foul mood. What a horrific way to die. I can't think of anything worse than watching someone cut off and burn my, um, stuff. How strongly do have to believe in your cause to accept this death without swaying? The guys in this book were hard core 17th century men. Here is a little bit of what Maj. General Thomas Harrison said upon his death (he was found guilty of killing the King and not keeping the Sabbath)

"And now blessed be the name of God, who accounteth me worthy to be put upon this service for my Lord Christ: Oh, this is nothing to what Christ hath suffered me!"

"Oh what am I poor worm! that I should be accounted worthy to suffer anything for the sake of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; I have gone joyfully and willingly many a time to lay down my life upon the account of Christ but never with so much joy and freedom as at this time"

4 comments:

sledgeforchrist said...

i dont read too much any way my friend. I would like to help you remodel you house though.

Anonymous said...

wow, they went through a lot back then.

MaLady said...

I've lost my taste for dinner...

Scott-a-pottamus said...

In Russia drawn and quartered means to have each of your four limbs tied to a horse going in four opposing directions making an "x" pattern. The horses would then take off running and tear your limbs apart then drag your body along the countryside until you were completely dead.

A horrific death no doubt but at least your testicles were left alone.