Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Vacuum Cleaner

So I bought a vacuum cleaner the other week. Today I decided to test out said vacuum cleaner in my living room. Yea, I haven't vacuumed in over a month, whats it to you? Seriously, I don't have carpet downstairs so there's not much to vacuum. However, today I made the mistake of smacking my couch and, well, the Israelites could have followed that cloud of dust through the wilderness. So, I pulled out my 1960s $5 special, my Rainbow Rexair model D. From what I've read, Rainbow is the holy grail of vacuum cleaners. A new one will put you back $1,800. For those of you doing the math that's $1,755 more than I paid for mine. Rainbow uses water as a filter and is anti allergenic. I bought this little gem thinking that I may sell it one eBay. One in great condition from the 60s can still cost you up to $500. I've decided to keep it. My couch had enough dust in it to turn that water a lovely shad of gray. This vacuum has lasted over 30 years. I wonder if it can make through few more in my house. A new motor for this thing is $250 so when its dead, its back to the Dust Devil.

So, do any of you have a favorite vacuum? Truth be known, before this I didn't care.

Photobucket
Photobucket

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I hate to vaccuum. We now have wood floors. There is one rug in our family room which I vaccuumm maybe once a month. Sweeping every day I don't mind, but vaccuuming-forget it. And I have never found a vaccuumm that I like. Maybe that Roomba thing, that just does it by itself. That would be fun, it would freak the dog out!

puddleboy said...

I threw away a rainbow vac. My dyson dominates it! =) They are a pain to use, dumping the nasty water out is awful.

MaLady said...

Oh yes, I have favorites - I clean for a living...
I 'd highly recommend Eureka's Sanitaire line - simple, solid, easy to maintain, they do great work with no fuss. I have a commercial canister and a commercial upright and I love them both.

We had a rainbow when I was a kid - that water is nasty and I hated the way the canister would nab my heels...

Anonymous said...

I have a Rainbow and I luv it! Bought mine used, which still cost about an arm minus the leg.