Monday, December 1, 2008

Make My Sign Boring

I design signs (for money not pleasure). Advertising is important and generally speaking, people want the most bang for their buck. They want signs that are attention grabbing.Signs that pull you in. Its all about the color themes, fonts, and graphics. Its a rare occasion that a customer should ask us to make their sign purposely boring. Strangely enough though, that did recently happen. "We want it red and black with as simple a font as you have with no pictures or graphics." In other words, make my sign boring. Yikes, what do you think they were trying to sell with an incredibly boring sign like this? Well, it was a banner for the churches special Christmas services. Have you ever been to a church where you thought that perhaps they were putting extra effort into making their services as boring as humanly possible? Tell the truth, have you ever fallen asleep at church? What was the most boring church experience of your life?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a sign that says nothing in the most obnoxious way possible. Can you do that?

Paul said...

I used to fall asleep all the time (well I still do). Most boring experience? When I was a kid every Sunday night watching the "Turn Your Heart Toward Home" series on film. Not video, film and projector. I can still picture it with dread.

Anonymous said...

My church just put up their new Christmas Eve banner, for a half second I thought it was ours!!! But ours rocks:)
you don't seem the boring type, did you do the sign?

DanThoms said...

I did design the sign but I stuck strictly to their specifications. Christmas shouldn't be boring, ek.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, simple doesn't have to be boring. it could be classy. maybe they just wanted classy?

DanThoms said...

I agree, but this sign was boring.

MaLady said...

I'm assuming that the word choice was boring as well? No simple background to throw the emphasis on the power of the catchy words?

Ma Lady