Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Aware of What?


Perhaps I missing something obvious or maybe I'm just dumb. I don't understand breast cancer awareness. I don't want to sound insensitive here. I've had both family and friends who have suffered from this terrible disease. It's terrible and preventable, kind of. But what exactly are all of these dumb facebook updates and photo changes? How does posting your bra color or changing your profile pictures color to pink help anything? What exactly is that supposed to make people aware of? Have you ever brought breast cancer up in a conversation and the person said, "Breast cancer, what is that, I'm not aware of what breast cancer is. I wish that someone would have made me aware of this serious issue by posting their bra color." Here's my theory on the matter. People do all of these borderline obnoxious "awareness" things because it makes them feel good about themselves without actually doing anything at all. It cost nothing, there is zero sacrifice and yet, somehow, you feel like you've done something noble. And yes, I realize that I may be being a jerk here. Sorry, I'm aware.

6 comments:

Francy said...

If the "awareness" comes with information like -- these are the early warning signs, these are things you can do to live healthier, get a mammogram, etc. Then I think you can call it "awareness" and it can be helpful. But posting on FB your bra color or the more obnoxious "where do you like it" (meaning where do you like to keep your purse) is not awareness! When the NFL or MLB wears pink for Breast Cancer awareness, it's like "ok-already, I'm aware!! That seems like political correctness to me but, on the other hand, it might be comforting to people who have or had breast cancer or know someone who died from it, to feel like they have a lot of support from the public?? I don't know. My mom died of pancreatic cancer which is much rarer than breast cancer and it has no or very vague symptoms until you are already at a late stage so it's almost always terminal. I think I would like more people to be aware of THAT. So I'm going to think of a facebook status update that involves some kind of sexual innuendo that I can tell people to post and have all their friends post and it has to be "secret" to keep all the guys guessing. Yeah, that'll work.

Kelly said...

You're not being a jerk. My mom had breast cancer (stage 1 thankfully) and I'm sure that all these things do not make her feel better about the whole thing.

Reverb said...

I was just telling Allison this the other day. It's pretty ridiculous overall due to what Fran said...it would be actual awareness if there was a 30 second video spot telling you the 3 steps to prevent breast cancer. Or if those pink ribbons had words on them like "get wise, get healthy, get checked" - I don't know...something.

Have you seen the new puzzle piece ribbons that just say "Autism" on them? Yeah...that's helpful.

Andrew said...

nicely said... I agree 100%

Lydia said...

Hey Dan,

Found your blog from Pastor Ryan's blog -- and I have to agree with you. It seems to me that it may help with raising money? I hope? I have no idea what the color pink does for anyone. And no, you are not being a jerk.

Not Too Old said...

It is to raise the awareness that I'm paying extra for something that comes in pink packaging, thereby eliminating my ability to decide just how and when I give up my money for breast cancer awareness.

I'm with you, although I'm afraid to say it too loudly for being hit with a ping something or other.